Nothing says summer like packing a picnic lunch and heading to the park or playground. There is something about loading up the picnic basket, blanket and snacks that makes eating lunch outside extra special. To avoid the inevitable crumbs, spills and “oops” on your picnic blanket (or having your kids eat directly off of the dirty picnic table-yuck) you can whip up these simple, wipeable placemats. I used a beautiful laminated cotton (Amy Butler- rose, peacock feathers) so there are no worries about stains- just wipe them clean and reuse. The pocket is perfect for sliding in your cutlery, and the ribbon lets you just roll them up and store them away. Great to carry around in your purse or diaper bag too- so you’ll always have a clean surface for you or your little one to eat on (with or without a plate!).
Reusable Placemats Tutorial:
What you will need:
1 yard laminated cotton (57inches wide)
ribbon or bias tape for ties
How to (use a tiny seam allowance- fabric will not fray):
- Cut your fabric pieces. You should be able to get 4 placemats our of 1 yard. Dimensions for the placemats are: 10 1/2 x 16 1/2 inches. Cut your pocket pieces: 5×10 inches. Cut your ties to your desired length- roughly 10 inches (will be folded to form two)
- Fold your pocket piece right sides together and sew side seams (to form a 5×5 inch square) leave bottom unsewn and turn right sides out. Place on top of one placemat piece, one inch from the left botton corner. Sew sides onto your placemat and sew lines to form slots for cutlery (roughly one inch apart) You should now have a double thickness pocket with 4 slots for cutlery. Your bottom edge is still unsewn.
- Fold your ribbon in half and baste to center of right side edge. This will form your ties.
- Place one placemat piece on top with right sides facing. Take your time, do not pin or you will leave holes in your laminated fabric. Sew around the perimeter leaving at least 2 inches open to allow you to turn it right side out. Be sure to backstitch at the beginning and end. Be sure your ribbon is tucked inside. Turn right side out.
- Topstitch all around your placemat, closing up your opening.
Repeat for other placemats and you are done! Now pack a lunch and get outside before Summer is over!